Find your home with SURJ
In these times of intense crisis and isolation, we all need a crew. Join SURJ’s today by becoming an official SURJ National Member. No matter where you live or how you can show up, you belong here and you are needed.
Join as a SURJ National Member!
Suggested dues levels:
- If you make $40k or less per year: $3/month or $36 for the year
- If you make $40-$80k and/or have some wealth/savings: $10/month or $120 for the year
- If you make $80-$120k and/or have moderate wealth/savings: $25/month or $300 for the year
- If you make $120k+ and/or have significant wealth/savings: $50+/month or $600 for the year
- If you make $200k+ and/or have sizeable wealth/savings: $125+/month or $1,250 for the year
From card-carrying union members to the Black Panther Party to dozens of other social justice organizations like SURJ, movement groups have always been made up of official members. This move will allow us to deepen our collective commitment to our community and thus become more powerful and effective in the actions we take. And it’s a way to offer a deeper sense of belonging and investment in folks who opt-in to work with us.
Why join as a member?
- You want to win. You want millions and millions of white people to move towards justice movements. When our organizations are tighter, more aligned, and more deeply committed, we are more powerful.
- As a SURJ National Member, you’ll get access to special training, webinars, merch, events, and a members-only online space where you can build community and ask questions.
- Find your people. From coast-to-coast, SURJ members have formed transformative bonds working together on phone banks and action zaps. This is challenging work, and we all need a team of support. Make this one yours.
What are member responsibilities?
You align with our mission and values. Members pledge to enact the SURJ values in their political work and are aligned with SURJ’s vision for change in the world.
You take action with SURJ. National Members commit to taking action with the national organization at least three times throughout the year on phone or text banks, through volunteer support or being on a campaign leadership team.
You pay dues. In the long tradition of member-supported organizations, SURJ members give financially because they believe our work is important. Annual membership dues are on a sliding scale listed below with some guidance based on income. SURJ is a cross-class organization that prioritizes organizing in poor and working class white communities. You’re invited to choose a dues level that feels appropriate to your financial situation.
Do I have to sign up if I already qualify for the above reasons?
YES. Even if you’re already a donor or you take regular action with SURJ, we’re asking you to opt-in and confirm your commitment to our org using this form (plus, when you officially sign up, we’ll know where to send your member welcome swag!).
I am a member of a chapter– does that make me a National Member automatically?
No, membership of a chapter is a separate process. We encourage everyone to support and join their local chapter. If you don’t have one near you, you can join as a National Member and there are many people who support both their local chapter work and work the national organization.
If I am already a regular participant in phone banks or an active donor, what changes?
You will receive official member-specific invitations to events and programming, and members-only swag. As far as your participation in our organization goes, though, nothing will change! Keep calling, keep joining webinars, keep donating– and thank you for being one of our closest supporters.